History – Bethany College Campus Ministry

Bethany College, founded in 1840 by Alexander Campbell in Bethany, West Virginia, is the oldest degree-granting institution in the State of West Virginia. Established under a charter from the Virginia legislature before West Virginia became a state, the college was rooted in Campbell’s earlier Buffalo Seminary (1818) and has remained affiliated with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) since its inception. Known for its liberal arts focus and early commitment to coeducation—admitting women as early as 1877—Bethany played a significant role during the Civil War, remaining open when most institutions closed. It is also the birthplace of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, founded in 1858. The campus includes several historic buildings, such as Old Main and the Campbell Mansion, and is part of the Bethany Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Bethany has experienced a long history of involvement by Catholics in the larger community, as well as at Bethany College itself. Following World War II, many Catholic American G.I.s began attending the College. Consequently, in 1947, then Bishop John J. Swint of the Diocese of Wheeling appointed Father Frederick Becker, OFM as the first Catholic chaplain at Bethany College. Fr. Becker continued in that role until 1967.
During its early years, the Catholic Campus Ministry at Bethany College used the Bethany Elementary and High School gym for weekly Mass. But by 1964, with Mass attendance increasing, Mass was moved to a Bethany College classroom. Mass attendance continued to grow, though, and Mass was moved to the Phillips Hall TV room in 1967, and later to the Renner Union. Later, Mass began to be held in the basement of the Bethany Memorial Church, until 1981.
In 1978, the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston purchased the Sienna House, which was located ________. Bishop Joseph J. Hodges dedicated the Sienna House on October 29, 1978. The purchase of the Sienna House marked the first time that the Bethany Catholic Community had a home of its own. In 1981, the Diocese purchased adjacent property to serve as a rectory, with hopes to develop a new Catholic Campus Ministry Center as well. However, Bishop Hodges died before the completion of the project, and the center was not developed.
In 1994, the St. Thomas More Coffeehouse was established on Ross Street in Bethany, on the property that had been purchased by the Diocese. The Coffeehouse was to give those associated with Bethany College another option for leisure time and served as an ecumenical outreach to the College community. The Coffeehouse opened in 1995, was subsequently closed for some needed repairs, and was reopened and rededicated in 1997.
Catholic Campus Ministry at Bethany College continued until 2009, when the Diocese made the decision to close Sienna House and merge the Bethany College Catholic Campus Ministry and West Liberty Catholic Campus Ministry.

The following priests were assigned to the Bethany College Catholic Campus Ministry throughout its history (dates are approximate):

  • Rev. Frederick H. Becker, O.F.M. Cap. (1947 – 1964)
  • Rev. Arthur D. Swift, S.T. (1964 – 1968)
  • Rev. Victor L. Seidel, S.T. (1968 – 1972)
  • Rev. John V. Di Bacco (1972 – 1979)
  • Rev. Joseph A. Peterson (1979 – 1981)
  • Rev. Lewis F. Gaetano (1981 – 1984)
  • Rev. Joseph A. Peterson (1984 – 1987)
  • Rev. Patrick A. Condron (1987 – 1992)
  • Rev. Michael S. McCormick (1992 – 1995)
  • Rev. Richard W. Shoda (1995 – 1998)
  • Rev. Kevin M. Quirk (1998 – 2005)
  • Rev. Walter M. Jagela (2005 – 2008)
  • Rev. Peter A. Giannamore (2010 – 2014) (Co-Chaplain)
  • Rev. Msgr. Paul A. Hudock (2012 – 2014) (Co-Chaplain)
  • Rev. Joseph D. Pisano (2014 – 2019)
  • Rev. Asantha Jude Perera, T.O.R. (2019 – 2024)
  • Rev. Gerald Muoka (2024 – Present)

From the Archives

Hodges, Gaetano Mass at Bethany, 11-1983

Hodges, Schmitt, Peterson 11-1983

Sienna House, Richardson St, Bethany